incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Bloated NOTICE files are evil
Date Sun, 12 Oct 2014 16:40:38 GMT
On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 5:16 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think that's correct.

Well, since neither of us is a lawyer (at least I am not) at this
point we're debating interpretations on ALv2.

> A source distribution with NOTICE may be included in an ASF binary
> distribution - e.g. example code is often included in biary dists.
> In this case the relevant parts of the source NOTICE would need to be
> considered for inclusion in the ASF NOTICE for the binary.
>
> In other words a source distribution affects all works that include
> it, not just source distributiions.

My opinion is that you're abusing the notion of the distribution here.

> The NOTICE file in an ASF source release must contain all *required*
> attributions for all included bits, and must not contain attributions
> for bits that are not included. Only INCLUDED bits affect the NOTICE
> (and LICENSE) files.

Correct.

> The process for determining what goes in the ASF NOTICE file starts
> with the contents of the associated release artifact.

I still maintain that my interpretation of ALv2 makes it relevant
what distribution we're talking about source or binary.

>>    3. presence or absence of NOTICEs in binary distribution doesn't
>>        affect source distribution.
>
> Not true.

That would be your opinion at this point. The one that I don't share.

>>    4. presence or absence of NOTICEs in source distribution doesn't
>>        affect binary distribution.
>
> Not true.

Ditto.

Thanks,