incubator-general mailing list archives

From Scott McFarland <hiddenfir...@live.com>
Subject RE: Project Idea - TagSheets
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2014 17:59:39 GMT
Sorry for my confusion, if you want to see those markup screens, they're visible at
http://tagshets.blogspot.com/ .
From: hiddenfire65@live.com
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Project Idea - TagSheets
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 13:43:02 -0400

I watch Analysts put their data into spreadsheets – Inventory data, bug/issues data, other
miscellaneous data.  And see them struggle to fit new types of data items into their existing
set of spreadsheet columns.  And see them struggle to find ways to correlate like-type items
(frequently done by creating new columns to capture relationships).  And see them traversing
up and down the sheet, unable to easily surf from one item to a related one.
I think that the world is ready for a more loosely-defined type of “sheet”, that is to
a traditional spreadsheet what a NoSQL database is to a relational database.  Less regimented,
more flexible.  And, Twitter’s popularity has made the “Hashtag” concept intuitive to
a wide audience.  Hence I propose development of a “TagSheet” mechanism to store data,
that captures relationships between entities by means of associating hashtags to them.
This might quickly fill a niche for users who resist complex tools – who reflexively reach
for spreadsheets when they need to track information.  It is a nice fit for inventory management,
to start with.
Attached are two markup screens that show what a TagSheet could look like.  I see it as a
small web application, built with Java and JSP, that can run under any web server.  Does anyone
think that this concept is one that Apache would want to develop and promulgate?