incubator-general mailing list archives

From br...@apache.org
Subject Re: Convenience Binary Policy
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2014 08:46:57 GMT
On 22.10.2014 03:02, Justin Mclean wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Binary dependencies are, by definition, not released by the ASF; because
>> we release source code. Also, software that has dependencies that are
>> only available in binary form is not open-source, in my book.
> You may possibly be forgetting about Category B licensed dependancies. These may only
be included in binary form in an Apache product. [1] They would be still be consider open
source by most people :-) The source does exist it's just not able to be included in a Apache
product due to the weak copy left provision the licences include.

I have trouble visualising how any ASF project could have /mandatory/
dependencies on anything from the B-list.

-- Brane