incubator-general mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@e-reka.si>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Drill 0.6.0-incubating release
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2014 16:15:18 GMT
On 13.10.2014 16:14, Julian Hyde wrote:
> For many projects, especially "library" projects, the "convenient binaries" that matter
most these days are the jars (source, binary, and javadoc) that are deployed to the maven
repo. Calcite releases in fact do not currently include a binary tar ball, only a source tar
ball and maven jars.

> Are these jars subjected to due diligence during the release vote? It seems to me that
each of those jars is a de facto binary release.

If it contains sources, it's not a binary release. Binary JARs are
definitely a binary release. I haven't a clue what Javadocs are, but
since they're derived from the sources, I'd prefer to put them in the
"binary" category for simplicity.

But that's beside the point. "Convenience binaries" are anything that
was created from the properly voted-on and released source that did not
go through the same formal release proces as the source release. If the
PMC did not vote on the binary JARs, they are not an Apache Release and
therefore none of our guarantees (or liabilities) can apply to them.

-- Brane