incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Convenience Binary Policy
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2014 16:26:53 GMT
<orcnote> in-line.
-----Original Message-----
From: brane@apache.org [mailto:brane@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2014 01:47
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Convenience Binary Policy

On 22.10.2014 03:02, Justin Mclean wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Binary dependencies are, by definition, not released by the ASF; because
>> we release source code. Also, software that has dependencies that are
>> only available in binary form is not open-source, in my book.
> You may possibly be forgetting about Category B licensed dependancies. These may only
be included in binary form in an Apache product. [1] They would be still be consider open
source by most people :-) The source does exist it's just not able to be included in a Apache
product due to the weak copy left provision the licences include.

I have trouble visualising how any ASF project could have /mandatory/
dependencies on anything from the B-list.

<orcnote>
    For an indication of the kinds of non-ASF dependencies that go into
    Apache OpenOffice binary distributions, take a look at this list:
    <http://sourceforge.net/projects/oooextras.mirror/files/?source=directory>.
    (To see the full names, mouse over the names in the Name column.)
    There is a non-neglible potential for more Category B dependencies
    in the future, now that LibreOffice releases are under the MPL 2.0.
</orcnote>

-- Brane