incubator-general mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Podling name change - Optiq becomes Calcite
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2014 19:42:55 GMT
We have discovered that we are unlikely to be able to trademark "Apache
Optiq", so we intend to change the name of the project to "Apache Calcite".
The PPMC likes the name, and a trademark search reveals no competing uses
of the name.

What are the next steps? Can someone who has been through the same process
please share their check-list? (I know I will need to log lots of INFRA
requests but it would help to know what these should be -- e.g. should I
ask to rename the lists, two svn repositories, 3 git repos, wiki, web
sites, old releases, jira project etc etc etc or create new ones and
obsolete the old ones?)

Release momentum is one of the good things we have going, so we will make a
release under the new name, which will be apache-calcite-0.9.1-incubating,
in the next few days. We will not have time to re-organize the code into
new package names.

I plan to launch the project under its new name, Apache Calcite, when I
speak at Strata NY on 16th October.

Julian