incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: Committer Voting and Vetos
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2014 19:32:07 GMT
On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 11:59 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
> In a past discussion about by-laws, some folks were adamant that voting
> for new committer and PMC members be consensus votes so a single person
> can block the adding of a candidate.
>
> Do any projects use some form of majority voting for new committers?  What
> are the reasons for allowing vetoes?
>
> Thanks,
> -Alex

I'd personally ask this question on dev@community.a.o instead of here,
but I'll weigh in here.

In general we operate on consensus.

I personally think the single person veto for allowing in new
committers/PMC members is important; perhaps more important than veto
on technical issues. Community over code and all - if I'm willing to
trust someone with the ability to veto a technical decision, that
isn't remotely as important as a community decision, then I should
also trust them with a veto on adding committers or PMC members
because it's even more crucial to the project. It's not problem free -
and could be subject to abuse (one of the reasons to be careful who
you let in.) but a reasonable approach.