incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Code Donations and Committer Righs
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2014 17:23:55 GMT
Just like Ross, the following constitutes my personal opinion
(that has been formed over the years of maintaining complex
code bases written "before my time"):

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 10:04 AM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)
<Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com> wrote:
> OK. I will give you my personal opinion since you are seeking to drive consensus...
>
> I would say that if the code is of sufficient quality and relevance for the project to
want
> to accept it then contributors should be given commit rights.

I would even go further than this: to me a brand new code donation
without anybody donating that code willing to sign up to maintain
it (at least for as long as it takes for others to ramp up) spells orphaned
code.

IOW, for sizable brand new contribution the commit rights of somebody
familiar with the code shouldn't be a question, but more of a prerequisite
to actually accepting that contribution in the first place.

Thanks,
Roman.