incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Incubator exit criteria
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2014 07:08:06 GMT
On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 1:14 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 2:22 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <rvs@apache.org> wrote:
>> ...Including the patch below...
>
> Sorry to come in late but I had a look at [1] and it's way too
> complicated IMO, and I don't think the proposed patch helps with that.
>
> In general http://incubator.apache.org/ is way too verbose and hard to
> maintain - removing everything that is not essential would help IMO.
>
> With this in mind, I would remove almost everything from the "What is
> retirement" section and keep just
>
> ****
> A retired project is a project which has been closed down for various
> reasons, instead of graduating as an Apache project. It is no longer
> developed in the Apache Incubator and does not have any other duties.
>
> The project's code might stay available on Apache servers, if all the
> required IP clearance requirements have been met.
>
> Retirement is a decision of the Incubator PMC, which usually delegates
> it to the incubating project's mentors. The opinion of the incubating
> project's community should of course be taken into account, but in the
> end it's the Incubator PMC which makes the decision.
> ****
>
> And also keep the "steps to retirement" section.

I totally agree with the section being overly complex to parse. I am, however,
a little bit afraid of such a drastic edit ;-) Two points on that:
   * since I haven't seen much of complaining, can I please commit my
     proposed stuff and then we can pile additional edits on top of that?
   * re-reading those sections made me realize that we are making a
     distinction between two types of non-graduation: termination and
     retirement. The way I read it, with termination there's no code left.
     With retirement code is still available. Am I correct?

Thanks,
Roman.