incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Websites, WebApps, and Release Policy
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2014 01:25:35 GMT
On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 3:24 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> This strikes me very similar to providing access to daily SNAPSHOT binary
>> artifacts. I would argue that labeling it appropriately is all you
>> need.
> Except that is this case the intended audience of the application is users.

I see no difference between the two cases. Regardless of who the target
audience is SNAPSHOT is a SNAPSHOT is a SNAPSHOT. Look at it this
way: there are *tons* of users depending on SNAPSHOT Maven artifacts
of various Apache projects.

>> After all, if you're pushing updates it means that something that used to work yesterday
>> could stop working today.
> That's generally not the case here, we are publishing compiled code that runs in the
flash player VM.

I was trying to make a general point that regardless of a technology,
if I come to the same website clearly labeled as '1.0 release'
and get different results -- I'd be unpleasantly surprised. There's a reason
Google labels things as 'beta'.

Thanks,
Roman.