incubator-general mailing list archives

From ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Incubator exit criteria
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2014 06:01:54 GMT
On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 3:35 AM, Joe Brockmeier <jzb@zonker.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014, at 04:23 AM, ant elder wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 4:46 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <rvs@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > Sorry for a belated reply -- at first I was following Doug's rule
> > > and then I got distracted ;-)
> > >
> > > That said -- I really would like to drive us to some kind
> > > consensus (even if we have to do the vote) because
> > > the current situation is simply sad (top 8 project):
> > >    https://whimsy.apache.org/incubator/podlings/by-age
> > >

> > I had a quick look at a few of the top 8 podlings in that link.
> >
> > Droids should be helped to graduate not to retire, VXQuery is currently
> > voting to graduate, ODF toolkit should graduate (IMHO), S4 has just voted
> > to retire.
>
> Are you saying Droids is ready to graduate, or...?
>
> Looking at its mailing lists and last report, I'm not seeing many signs
> of activity. Why is it a target for graduation rather than retirement?
> Is there activity that I'm missing? Last release was in August 2012, at
> least according to its Web site. (0.2-incubating)
>
> Under the proposed rules, Droids would be a candidate for retirement,
> not graduation, unless I'm missing something.

Right, and thats why i don't think a rule like that would be useful.

If Droids was made to retire the code would be frozen in the attic or
forced out to github, forced to change its package name in the code and so
probably lose existing users, and remove all references to apache in  the
project and doc and website etc etc. All tons of work which being a small
project they'd probably never get done so it would likely be the death of
the project.

And for what purpose? To quote one of them from their dev list a couple of
months ago: "Going to the attic would suck. It's a solid code base, it's
just one of those things that doesn't necessarily need to change much.".
The main people in Droids we know and trust, they are ASF members and PMC
chairs. We in the Incubator should be helping them graduate not looking for
ways to retire the project.

   ...ant