incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Incubator exit criteria
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2014 03:51:39 GMT
On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> I'll offer OpenOffice as an example of how long an initial podling
> release can take in some cases, due to a number of factors:

I agree with all of your points. Most of all with your final conclusion.
I still can't help but comment on one single thing, simply because
I really don't want it cloud this discussion:

> 2) The code that was SGA'ed was for a beta release.  It required a lot
> of bug fixing before it was ready for GA.

Can we all agree that ASF release != GA release?

I don't think there would be a sane person who'd hold it against an
*Incubating* project to release an alpha version (which is by definition
an artifact that is only useful to an advanced user community).

Thanks,
Roman.