incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Podling binding votes
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2014 23:32:30 GMT
Hi,

> As a mentor I've (nearly) always advised that if there are three IPMC votes on the dev
list then there is no need to make further noise on the general list with unnecessary +1's.
I therefore point out in the general@ vote mail that 3 binding (IPMC) +1's have been received
and therefore there is only a need to vote if there is an objection.
Fair enough + seem reasonable to me.

> TECHNICALITY: PPMC votes are not binding (although they absolutely should be considered
as such by the project). Only IPMC votes are considered binding at the foundational level
since PPMC members are not yet a member of a formal committee.
You need 3 +1 votes first on the podlings dev list, and PPMC votes do count there, we wouldn't
see a lot of podling releases otherwise. :-) Does that mean any +1 vote (say by a committer
or user) on the dev list also counts if PPMC votes aren't actually considered binding? (I'd
assume not but again it's not clear from the document).

Thanks,
Justin