incubator-general mailing list archives

From <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Podling binding votes
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2014 23:06:02 GMT
As a mentor I've (nearly) always advised that if there are three IPMC votes on the dev list
then there is no need to make further noise on the general list with unnecessary +1's. I therefore
point out in the general@ vote mail that 3 binding (IPMC) +1's have been received and therefore
there is only a need to vote if there is an objection.

I'm sure that some folks might claim the more correct process is to have a second vote, but
as long as the 3 IPMC votes are formally and publicly recorded in the dev list vote then I
believe that is all we need.

TECHNICALITY: PPMC votes are not binding (although they absolutely should be considered as
such by the project). Only IPMC votes are considered binding at the foundational level since
PPMC members are not yet a member of a formal committee. Note I'm not suggesting that a PPMC
vote is unimportant. In fact it is more important than IPMC votes at the project level, it's
just the way we are structured means PPMC votes are not binding according to our bylaws (at
least that's how I understand it).

Sent from Surface