incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Argus Proposal
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2014 07:12:17 GMT
Hi,

it looks interesting.

Do you have an idea about the interactions with other projects (Knox,
Shiro, Syncope, whatever) ?

Regards
JB

On 07/15/2014 04:16 AM, Selvamohan Neethiraj wrote:
> Apache Argus Proposal (http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ArgusProposal)
>
> == Abstract ==
>
> Argus is a framework to enable, monitor and manage comprehensive data security across
the Hadoop platform.

> The name “Argus” is derived from Argus Panoptes, a 100-eyed giant in Greek mythology,
endowed with a role to keep “an eye” open and be an effective watchman at all times.

> == Background ==
>
> The vision with Argus is to provide comprehensive security across the Apache Hadoop ecosystem.
With the advent of  Apache YARN, the Hadoop platform can now support a true data lake architecture.
Enterprises can potentially run multiple workloads, in a multi tenant environment. Data security
within Hadoop needs to evolve to support multiple use cases for data access, while also providing
a framework for central administration of security policies and monitoring of user access.

> XA Secure, a Hadoop security focused startup, developed the initial technology behind
Argus. XA Secure was acquired by Hortonworks, which now is contributing the technology to
the open source community to extend and innovate.

> == Rationale ==
>
> Many of the projects in the Hadoop ecosystem have their own authentication, authorization,
and auditing components. There are no central administration and auditing capabilities. We
are looking to address these enterprises security needs of central administration and comprehensive
security through the Argus project.
> Our initial focus would be around authorization and auditing, the longer term vision
would be to tie all aspects around data security within the Hadoop platform.

> == Proposal Details ==
>
> The vision of Argus is to enable comprehensive data security across the Hadoop platform.
The goal is provide a single user interface or API to manage security policies, monitor user
access and policy changes history. The framework would work with individual components in
enforcing these policies and in capturing relevant audit information.
> Initial Goals
> 	1.	Donate the Argus source code and documentation to the Apache Software Foundation
> 	2.	Setup and standardize the open governance of the Argus project
> 	3.	Build a user and developer community
> 	4.	Deeper Integration with Hadoop Platform
> 		a.	Enable integration with Apache Storm, Apache Knox and Apache Falcon for authorization
and auditing
> 	5.	Configurable centralized storage of audit data into HDFS
> 	6.	Enable framework to be run in both Linux and Windows environments
> 	7.	Rationalize install procedure, making it easier for enterprises to deploy
>
> == Longer Term Goals ==
>
> In longer term, Argus should provide a comprehensive security framework for Hadoop platform
components, covering the following
> 	1.	Centralized security administration to manage all security related tasks in a central
UI
> 	2.	Fine grained authorization to do a specific action and/or operation with Hadoop component/tool
and managed through a central administration tool
> 		a.	Standardize authorization method across all Hadoop components
> 		b.	Enhanced support for different authorization methods - Role based access control,
attribute based access control etc
> 		c.	Enable tag based global policies
> 	3.	Centralize auditing of user access and administrative actions (security related)
within all the components of Hadoop

> == Current Status ==
>
> Argus’ technology is currently being used by enterprises and is under active development.
>
> The key components of Argus are:
> 	•	Enterprise Security Administration Portal
> 		◦	A Java Web Application, designed for administration of security policies from a
single location for the entire hadoop cluster (and even multiple hadoop clusters)
> 	•	Security Agents
> 		◦	A light-weight Java Agent, which will be embedded into the hadoop component (e.g.
Hive, HBase and Hadoop) as an authorization provider to enforce the security policies and
also collect access events/logs.
> 	•	User/Group Synchronizer Module
> 		◦	A standalone daemon which allows the user/group information to be synched from
the enterprise user repositories like LDAP/AD to Argus local database. This user/group information
in Argus local database will help the security policy administrators
> 			▪	to define security policies by  selecting users/groups from a drop-down box (instead
of typing their name/group in a text-box).
> 			▪	to delegate policy administration to other users/groups
> 			▪	to restrict view of reports based on the users/groups
> 	•	Centralized Audit Logs and Monitoring
> 		◦	Log events to central data storage/database
> 		◦	Interactive query of audit events
> 		◦	Audit administrator actions
>

> The initial version provides ability to
> 	1.	Define security policies using a central security administration UI.
> 	2.	Fine grained access control for HDFS (file level) , Hive (column level) and HBase
(column level)
> 	3.	Framework to record access/operational events/logs as part of auditing and view using
a central monitoring UI.
> 	4.	Support delegated policy administration
> 	5.	Centralized audit monitoring and query capabilities
>
> === Meritocracy ===
>
> We plan to invest in supporting a meritocracy. We will discuss the requirements in an
open forum. Several companies have already expressed interest in this project, and we intend
to invite additional developers to participate. We will encourage and monitor community participation
so that privileges can be extended to those that contribute.

> === Community ===
>
> We are happy to report that there are existing Apache committers and corporate users
who are closely involved in the project already. We hope to extend the user and developer
base further in the future and build a solid open source community around Argus, growing the
community and adding committers following the Apache meritocracy model.

> === Core Developers ===
>
> The initial technology within Argus was originally built by the team at XA Secure. XA
Secure was founded and managed by experienced members with a wide background in enterprise
security. Some of the XA’s core team have been proposed as core developers for this project.
The developer list also include an Apache member and PMC members from several Apache projects
(Hadoop, HBase, and Knox). A concern is that all of the core developers are employed by Hortonworks
and thus an emphasis will be on increasing the diversity of the developer community.
> Alignment
> The initial committers strongly believe that a unified security portal for Apache Hadoop,
Hive, and HBase will gain broad adoption as an open source, community driven project. Our
hope is that the Apache Falcon, Apache Storm,  Apache Knox, and other communities will find
tremendous value in Argus and will adopt it en masse.

> == Known Risks ==
>
> === Orphaned Products ===
>
> The initial code behind Argus is under active development and is being actively used
by several enterprises. It is not expected to be orphaned.

> === Inexperience  with Open Source ===
>
> Many of the core developers have long-standing experience in open source, Dili Aramugam,
Kevin Minder and Larry McCay are committers on the Apache Knox project. Sanjay Radia and Owen
O’Malley are PMC members on several Apache projects. We have several mentors that will work
with the inexperienced committers on building a thriving developer community.

> === Homogeneous Developers ===
> The current core developers are all from Hortonworks. However, we expect to establish
a thriving developer community that includes users of Argus and developers of other Hadoop
components.

> === Reliance on Salaried Developers ===
>
> Currently, all of the developers are paid to work on Argus. A key goal for the incubation
process will be to broaden the developer base.
> Relationships with Other Apache Products
> The biggest risk is fast rate of growth of new features within the Hadoop ecosystem and
security standards not being applied during the initial development of these new products.
We believe an active engagement from the Hadoop community would significantly aid adoption
of common security framework across the ecosystem and will help in establishing cross component
standards.

> As mentioned in the Alignment section, Argus is closely integrated with Hadoop, Hive
and HBase in a numerous ways. We look forward to collaborating with those communities, as
well as other Apache communities.

> There is some overlap between the goals of Argus and Apache Sentry. Apache encourages
disjoint teams to form independent projects, even when those projects overlap in scope. Additionally,
we feel that the distinct code bases, development teams, and different approaches to the problem
should be represented by different projects. This will provide better choices for users to
choose from.

> === An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ===
>
> While we respect the reputation of the Apache brand and have no doubts that it will attract
contributors and users, our interest is primarily to give Argus a solid home as an open source
project with a broad developer base and to encourage adoption by the related ASF projects
and foster innovation around security

> == Documentation ==
> http://hortonworks.com/blog/hortonworks-acquires-xasecure-to-provide-comprehensive-security-for-enterprise-hadoop/
>
> == Initial Source ==
>
> We will make the initial source available as a patch.
>
> == Source and IP Submission Plan ==
> 1.	All source will be moved to Apache Infrastructure
> 2.	All outstanding issues in our in-house JIRA infrastructure will be replicated into
the Apache JIRA system.
> 3.	We will be acquiring a twitter handle for project Argus (eg: @apacheargus )
>
> == External Dependencies ==
>
> Argus has no external dependencies except for some Java libraries that are considered
ASF-compatible (JUnit, SLF4J, …) and Apache artifacts : Hadoop, Log4J and the transient
dependencies of all these artifacts.

> == Cryptography ==
>
> Argus does not incorporate encryption currently.
>
> == Required Resources ==
>
> === Mailing Lists: ===
> 1.	argus-dev
> 2.	argus-commits
> 3.	argus-private
>
> === Infrastructure: ===
> 1.	Git repository
> 2.	JIRA Argus
> 3.	Gerrit for reviewing patches
> The existing code includes local host integration tests, so we would like a Jenkins instance
to run them whenever a new patch is submitted.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org