incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release HDT version 0.0.2.incubating (RC0)
Date Fri, 04 Jul 2014 07:01:29 GMT
Hi,

-1 binding (binary files in source release + NOTICE/LICENSE issues)

I checked:
- vote thread has 3 +1 binding votes
- signatures and hash correct
- has DISCLAIMER
- LICENSE  and NOTICE have issues (see below)
- binary files in source release (see below)
- all source files have correct headers

The NOTICE contains a MIT license, as far as I'm aware this isn't correct and the information
should go in LICENSE. [1.]

The more serious issue is that  source release  contains software licensed under "Eclipse
Public License - v 1.0" (according to the NOTICE) . This is a category B license and can only
be distributed in a binary form [2]. (And I assume only in a binary release - anyone confirm
that?) I'm not 100% where the EPL bundled software it is in the source, can anyone point that
out?

I also would of expected the binary NOTICE / LICENSE files to be different from the source
files or do they contain exactly the same bundled software?

There's a dozen or so binary class files under "org.apache.hdt.ui/bin/org/apache/hdt/ui".

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps
2. http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b