incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tez graduation [Was: Request for mentor assessment]
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2014 21:41:15 GMT
On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 2:23 PM, Bikas Saha <bikas@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Community building is an organic process that grows on its own accord.

Really, I was going to run away for a bit, but my feeling is that this
statement is amazingly naive about how communities are built.

Community doesn't just happen.  Community doesn't just grow of its own
accord.  Community grows when people make serious, explicit actions to help
it grow, to bring in newcomers, to publish plans in many places *before*
code is written.

Building community is hard work that you have to intend to do.  If you
don't do the work, it won't just happen any more than code writes itself.