incubator-general mailing list archives

From Alexander Broekhuis <a.broekh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Celix as TLP
Date Sat, 14 Jun 2014 05:41:52 GMT
Hi,

> > Four is a very small number for a PMC.  I've commonly heard people argue
> that
> > five should be the cutoff.  If just two people move on, the project
> won't be
> > able to make releases.

We do know there aren't many committers/PMC members, but all documents
related to graduation mention 3 as the required amount. See [1] where it
says:

"The project is considered to have a diverse community when it is not
highly dependent on any single contributor (there are at least 3 legally
independent committers and there is no single company or entity that is
vital to the success of the project). Basically this means that when a
project mostly consists of contributors from one company, this is a sign of
not being diverse enough. You can mitigate this requirement by admitting
more external contributors to your project that have no tie to the single
entity."

> > My personal feeling is that small PMCs are OK when at least one member
> has
> > been added during incubation (demonstrating openness) and when the
> project has
> > been around for years with stable core personnel who are unlikely to
> > disappear.  But four is still really low, and it wouldn't surprise me if
> > the Board objected.
>
> Personally, I don't feel this is a big deal. The PMC size is appropriate
> given the overall project size. That said, I'd like to make two points:
>    * in general, for a smaller project like Celix I'd like to encourage
> folks
>      to consider PMC == committers

+1, that is what we are doing right now, even though the other committers
are not on the PPMC, they will be on the PMC.