incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Christian Grobmeier" <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] json as new incubator project
Date Sun, 01 Jun 2014 11:12:47 GMT
Hi,

> commons might be an option. But we still would need to go through the
> incubator.
> Otoh Commons proved not to be very JSR friendly to be honest. We had
> this discussion for BVal etc, and recent JCS discussions where also
> not in favour for it. I'd be happy to host it over there though.

there is no rush luckily. But you are right that Commons is not always
the best option.
And if we have a big community and maybe later other json stuff at hand,
it makes sense to aim at tld.

> Christian, txs for bringing up noggit. Didn't even know it. How far is
> it away from the SOLR version? And to which degree does it cover JSON?
> Anyone who knows the SOLR code think we could split this out form SOLR
> if this version is better?

here is the latest stable: https://github.com/yonik/noggit

Looking at Solrs code here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/trunk/solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/loader/JsonLoader.java
it seems like it is using the latest stable (or one of them) - I
concluded that by looking at the namespace.

Noggits License is AL2.0, so it should be no problem to use some of the
code.
However i once digged through it, while i wrote my own small lib:
https://github.com/grobmeier/jjson
It turned out that it has a great approach, but wasn't that easy to
hack.
That's why I stopped merging the two code bases and mine stayed pretty
dump.

> Romains code is pretty good already. But it uses antlr for parsing.
> Not sure how much this is a blocker when it comes to performance
> tuning and cutting down the size of the JAR yet.

Actually I don't like antlr that much and would love to see it go. I
totally enjoy json libs with zero dependencies.

Cheers
Christian

> LieGrue,
> strub
>

> On Sunday, 1 June 2014, 10:47, Christian Grobmeier
> <grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 1 Jun 2014, at 0:31, Justin Mclean wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> Apache Argonaut sounds good but I assume that name is in common use
>>> so
>>> perhaps Argus (the ship builder), or perhaps Fleece?
>>
>> I actually once wrote an article called "Json and the golden fleece"
>> (just in german),
>> so I would like this reference too.
>>
>> I was a little bit involved in that JSR (not very active to be
>> honest)
>> and developed
>> a JSON component myself before the JSR was in the making, so I have
>> an
>> interest in it.
>> Unfortunately I have very limited time to help actively. Anyway if
>> there
>> is trouble
>> to finding an additional mentor, I will step up.
>>
>> On the proposal i see two sections called "initial committers" and
>> one
>> "core developer". I would like to suggest to remove the section "core
>> developer" and on of the "initial committers" blocks.
>>
>> I would like to also suggest to look into Noggit:
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/labs/noggit/
>> which is more or less used in a later form in Solr.
>>
>> As sponsoring entity it might even make sense to look at Apache
>> Commons,
>> as the component will be small.
>> It would also relax the naming problem, as it would most likely be
>> named
>> Apache Commons Json then.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Christian