incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Christian Grobmeier" <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Request for mentor assessment
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2014 20:22:36 GMT
On 16 Jun 2014, at 21:56, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 11:31PM, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
>> On 06/12/2014 07:56 PM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
>>> This suggests that ASF is being used as a GitHub of sorts. Are we
>>> comfortable
>>> with this?

It's not really like GitHub. There is a community, at least a few
people.
It's definitely not about the cool tools, otherwise they would have gone
to GitHub.
We asked them recently, they declined and wanted to stay as they feel
the ASF is the right place (see dev@ for reference)

>> Speaking for myself, no. I'd be uncomfortable having a specific
>> deadline
>> for graduation, but a podling that's not making progress towards
>> graduation (in general, not pointing a finger specifically at Wave
>> here)
>> should be terminated.
>
> For what it worth, I think you're right: a permanent incubator project
> doesn't
> make sense. For once, there's a lot of people mechanics involved into
> podlings' mentoring, reporting, etc. And it doesn't feel exactly right
> forever handhold something that doesn't have an intention to evolve.

The have the intention, but not the man power.
There were phases with some excitement.

If the IPMC wants to shut down the podling, then I would like to see us
formulating a few rules when we do that. We should not shut a podling
down just because we feel like that. Instead let us define what it means
to "evolve" or what the "intention to evolve" means.

Like:

  - no new committer for a year
  - AND no release for a year
  - AND less than 20 emails in a month on dev@
  - AND less than 10 commits in a month
  - AND no way to change this in the next three months (in example:
hackathon on horizon)

(according to this, Wave would go to attic)

Cheers,
Christian

> Cos

---