incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Christian Grobmeier" <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Incubator exit criteria
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2014 13:22:57 GMT
On 19 Jun 2014, at 14:54, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 11:14 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <rvs@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> To this end, I'd like to prose a very simplistic criteria
>> for a potential retirement from the incubator: unless both
>> of of the following applies project get put to a retirement
>> IPMC vote:
>> * there has been a release in the past 12 months
>> * there has been a bona-fine change to a community
>>    structure in the past 12 months
>
> +1
>
> I think this is highly constructive, and I think the simplified
> criteria are a
> strong improvement.  For those who are raising objections, consider
> that the
> retirement vote **may not pass**.
>
> Deadlines are great motivators. Just knowing that a retirement vote is
> looming
> should get those releases in the pipeline and those PPMC members
> proposed.
>
> Having to make the case that the podling should continue is also an
> excellent
> exercise which should serve to focus the podling on the goals of the
> Incubator
> and help to educate as to what it means to be an Apache project.  That
> is
> worthwhile even for podlings who may be extremely active like Drill,
> or those
> who take a while to ramp up like Celix.  Email activity and commits
> are not
> enough on their own -- they may well get you the votes to get you
> through the
> vote, but only a release or a community change should buy an automatic
> extension.

I think its not enough to just look at release / committer additions.

In the case of Wave, there was a committer addition in the past year.
Still
no commits, nor a release. Looking closer you would find that committer
was
added because there was some excitement around at that time, with a lot
of plans.
But then people were facing simply too much work for a small team, and
the motivation then stopped. A deadline wouldn't not help to get out a
release.

That being said, I would like to re-suggest my initial thought with one
modification:

- no new committer for a year
- AND no release for a year
- AND less than 20 emails in a month on dev@
- AND less than 10 commits/jira modifications in a month
- AND no way to change this in the next three months (in example:
hackathon on horizon)

At least three of these requirements must be true to cause a retirement
vote.

Thanks,

Christian

> One suggestion: Make the "community" criteria an addition to the PPMC.
>  Adding
> a Mentor would count.
>
> Marvin Humphrey

---