incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Slider 0.30-incubating RC0
Date Thu, 29 May 2014 02:17:42 GMT
Hi,

Not sure I can vote +1 on this due to binary files in the source release - one of which one
contains jar. Is there a reason for this?

Signatures and hashes are fine
DISCLAIMER correct
Filename contains "incubating"
NOTICE and LICENSE OK (NOTICE year may not be correct?)
Source contains binary files (see below)
Not all files have correct headers (but only a minor issue)
Had trouble compiling from source - missing instructions
Once compiled was unable to run tests (see below)

Binary files in the source release:
 slider-0.30/slider-core/src/test/resources/org/apache/slider/common/tools/test.zip (contains
a jar)
 slider-0.30/slider-core/src/test/python/appdef_1.tar
 slider-0.30/slider-core/src/test/python/appdef_1.zip
 slider-0.30/slider-core/src/test/app_packages/test_command_log/package/files/command_log_10.tar
 slider-0.30/slider-core/src/test/app_packages/test_command_log/cmd_log_app_pkg.zip

Looks like some of the tar files do not need to be there as their contents are already in
the source. Are these zips/tars really required?

Was unable to get the functional tests to pass - most likely an issue at my end but without
instructions that's a little hard to tell.
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project slider-funtest: Could not resolve dependencies for
project org.apache.slider:slider-funtest:jar:0.30: Failure to find org.apache.slider:slider-core:jar:tests:0.30
in https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/ was cached in the local repository,
resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of ASF Staging has elapsed or
updates are forced -> [Help 1]

Tried with -U and still got an error - gave up at that point.

A few minor issues you may want to fix in a future release:
- May want to add apache to the artifact name
- A number of files are missing headers these are mostly json and python files, I believe
most of these are in bundled software (such as  Jinja2) but some are not
- LICENSE and NOTICE are preferred to LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt
- There's no instructions on how to build the source
- Looks like you need protobuf to compile this needs to be mentioned somewhere

Thanks,
Justin