incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <apa...@gagravarr.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept Slider into the incubator
Date Sun, 27 Apr 2014 20:02:31 GMT
On Sun, 27 Apr 2014, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> That's actually a great point. The way I look at it is this: there's
> nothing wrong with an alternative healthy community, but it has to be
> healthy. So I guess what I'm really saying is this: it may behove us to
> double click into the health of community for these types of overlapping
> projects when it is time for them to graduate.

One thing I'd also say - for new potential community members, there ought
not to be confusion. I don't personally see a problem with us having
multiple projects in one space, as long as we can explain to new community
members which one they should pick for their needs. "We have two Java
libraries for Fooing a Bar" isn't great. "If you need to Foo a Bar, we've
Apache CoffeeBar in Java, or Apache SnakeBar in Python" does help people
pick. "If you need to Foo your Bar, we've Apache SnapBar for low latency
Fooing, or Apache BigSuperBar for highly scalable and fault tolerant
batching Fooing" is good too. In both cases, there's a clear distinction
for new people to work out which is right for them, so they can join the
right community, or even go elsewhere if they need to.

However, I worry if there are two related projects who disagree on
personality rather than technology or architecture...

Nick