incubator-general mailing list archives

From Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Stratosphere
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2014 00:52:44 GMT
After talking with the proposers, the consensus is that the name will need to change, and everyone
is fine with that.  But the team wants to make sure we take time to choose a new name that
won’t run into legal issues.  So we would prefer to start incubation now concurrent with
the name search rather than quickly pick a name now, hoping it will survive the trademarks
process.

We realize this will cause some churn for infra, as we’ll end up changing names on mailing
lists, etc.  We’re open to suggestions on how to minimize this.  So are we ok to start the
vote?

Alan.

On Apr 7, 2014, at 9:01 AM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

> The brand issue is an important one to be aware of, but we shouldn't let that block progress
on evaluating the proposal or working with the potential new community to see how they'd fit
with The Apache Way.

> A couple of other notes:
>
> - Finding *factual* references to similar software product names is a good thing to do
up front, so we can be aware of any potential conflicts for the future.  However it's not
as useful to try to analyze what the potential issues are on a public list.

> - The ASF is happy to host any like-minded project communities who are willing to follow
the core rules that we require of Apache branded projects.  Part of that hosting is offering
the stable APACHE house brand for the project community, as well as assistance in securing
and maintaining their project identity.

> That said, we also have to recognize that where there are third parties with pre-existing
uses of similar software product names, we can't necessarily offer the same level of defense
for such a project name.

> Depending on the case, we may decide that a podling community is willing to accept the
risk of future conflicts, and that's fine - as long as in those cases we recognize that we
may be forced to change a project name in the future *if* the issue ever comes up.

> The trick with trademarks are that in virtually all cases, "it depends". The details
matter - both on the legal details of some potential conflict of names, *as well as* the actual
behavior of the parties involved.  That is: just because there is an apparent conflict of
names does not always mean that the two parties can't reach an agreement to each continue
while recognizing each other's brands.

> That being said, given the wide use of "stratos" as a name associated with various cloud
stuff these days, that I do recommend the proposal submitters have a serious discussion about
considering a new name.

> - Shane (not subscribed, reading on archives)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE