incubator-general mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache ODF Release situation
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2014 15:00:19 GMT
On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 9:20 PM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 7:51 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I'll upgrade my vote to +1 (binding)
>>
>> That gives us two +1's from the IPMC.  Need one more to release.
>>
>> I realize many are busy (including me) finishing up ApacheCon slides.
>> But if someone else can take a look I'd appreciate it greatly.
>
> The release vote situation has now also been mentioned in this month's report,
> under "Issues for the Board/IPMC".
>
>     Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
>     aware of?
>
>       We've been struggling to get 3 +1 IPMC votes for our latest release
>       candidate.  We're stuck at two +1 votes.
>
>     How has the community developed since the last report?
>
>       We issued a "call for volunteers" to our users list and got a good
>       response: http://s.apache.org/4Vx
>
>       Of course, it will be easier to grow the community if we can reliably
>       conduct a release vote.
>
> The "2013 Alternative Release Voting Process" was drawn up for scenarios like
> this one, allowing podlings to seize control of their destiny rather than
> being locked in to waiting on IPMC members.
>
>     http://incubator.apache.org/guides/release.html
>     http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases

Thanks.  This looks like a good fit.

One question on interpreting this alternative process.  It says, "For
all releases after the first, votes cast by members of the PPMC are
binding if a Mentor approves the Release Manifest."

Do we mean all releases after the first using the alternative process
specifically?  Or after the first release, even if that release was
using the mainline podling release procedure?

(We've already had two podling releases via the normal procedure.)

We (the PPMC) have already discussed proposing me as an additional
Mentor for the Podling, now that I'm on IPMC.  That could help enable
us using the "Alternative Release Voting Process".

Regards,

-Rob