incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Flex FlexUnit LICENSE and NOTICE files
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2014 10:43:09 GMT
On 2 April 2014 02:44, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> HI,
>
> While Apache Flex is not an incubating project I think this discussion may be useful
for incubating projects in a similar situation.

> We just getting together the first release of Apache Flex FlexUnit4. In Apache Flex FlexUnit
4 source files we have:
> - 2200 files with Apache licensed files (donated by Digital Primates)
> - 70 files BSD licensed files (copyright Adobe)
> - 1 file with MIT licensed (copyright FlexLib)
>
> All files have correct headers.

What do you mean by correct?

> The Adobe licensed files are there to support FlexUnit 1 (made by Adobe) and provide
a web browser UI test running for running FlexUnit 4 and FlexUnit 1 style tests. The code
in these files original comes from BSD licenced FlexUnit1 and is a small subset of that project.
All but 2 of the Adobe licensed files make up an optional browser UI test runner. The 2 remaining
files are simple data objects. Some of the Adobe licensed files have been modified by the
project but they still retain the Adobe licence headers. The single MIT licensed file is also
used in the UI test runner and is a text prompt component from the FlexLib project.

> It my understanding that the the conversation the other day on this list [1] that permissive
licences don't need to go into the LICENCE file, however the chair of Apache Flex doesn't
agree and thinks that the BSD and MIT licences need to explicitly stated (in LICENCE or perhaps
README) other than in the headers of these files. There has been long discussion on the ApacheFlex
dev list and 3 Release candidates based on exactly what need to be in these file/file headers
but no consensus.

The LICENSE file must include the text - or provide a pointer to a
local copy of the text - of all licenses that are relevant to the bits
that are in the enclosing distribution bundle (be that zip/jar/tar
etc). There are no exclusions here.

The NOTICE file must include any *required* attributions.
Not all licenses require attribution.

http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#mod-notice

> This is the current NOTICE file:
>
> Apache Flex FlexUnit
> Copyright 2014 The Apache Software Foundation
>
> This product includes software developed at
> The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
>
> The Developer of the Original Code, known as FlexUnit4,
> is Digital Primates IT Consulting Group (http://www.digitalprimates.net).
> Copyright (c) 2007-2011, Digital Primates IT Consulting Group.
>
> The COPYRIGHT file contains the standard ALv2 LICENSE and nothing else.
>
> Can anyone give any advice on if the above LICENCE and NOTICE file are correct for the
source release and if they are not what else needs to go into them?