incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache ODF Release situation
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2014 16:30:41 GMT
On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 8:00 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> One question on interpreting this alternative process.  It says, "For
> all releases after the first, votes cast by members of the PPMC are
> binding if a Mentor approves the Release Manifest."
>
> Do we mean all releases after the first using the alternative process
> specifically?  Or after the first release, even if that release was
> using the mainline podling release procedure?
>
> (We've already had two podling releases via the normal procedure.)

The intent is to have the first release inspected by three IPMC members.
That's happened.  +1 to use the alternative process for this release.

There has to be a IPMC vote first approving ODF Toolkit's participation in the
alternative process.  I suggest that you call that vote soon, today if you
like.  If anybody objects (which I doubt) we can launch a discussion thread
at such time.

    This VOTE is to permit the Apache ODF Toolkit podling to participate in
    the "2013 Alternate Release Voting Process".

    [ ] +1 Permit participation.
    [ ] -1 Do not permit participation because...

FWIW, I don't see any reason why the new podling vote incorporating the
checklist procedure could not proceed in parallel, starting before the IPMC
permission vote closes, if that is convenient for the PPMC.

> We (the PPMC) have already discussed proposing me as an additional
> Mentor for the Podling, now that I'm on IPMC.  That could help enable
> us using the "Alternative Release Voting Process".

Sounds good to me.  I know that you as an individual have ample licensing
expertise.  Perhaps other PPMC members do as well already; but in any case,
the checklist exercise presents an opportunity to spread that knowledge
around to all who take part.  I hope that it proves useful.

Marvin Humphrey