incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Slider Proposal
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2014 15:28:35 GMT
Hi Steve,

Does Slider target the deployment and management of components/projects in
the Hadoop project itself? Not just the ecosystem examples mentioned in the
proposal? I don't see this mentioned in the proposal.

The reason I ask is I'm wondering how Slider differentiates from projects
like Apache Twill or Apache Bigtop that are already existing vehicles for
achieving the aims discussed in the Slider proposal. Tackling
cross-component resource management issues could certainly be that, but
only if core Hadoop services are also brought into the deployment and
management model, because IO pathways extend over multiple layers and
components. You mention HBase and Accumulo as examples. Both are HDFS
clients. Would it be insufficient to reserve or restrict resources for e.g.
the HBase RegionServer without also considering the HDFS DataNode? Do the
HDFS DataNode and HBase RegionServer have exactly the same kind of
deployment, recovery/restart, and dynamic scaling concerns? Or are these
sort of considerations outside the Slider proposal scope?

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Steve Loughran <stevel@hortonworks.com>wrote:

> Hi
>

> For people wondering what's been happening with that Hoya proposal, I've
> got a successor proposal up for discussion.
>

> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SliderProposal
>
> This proposal -as well as having a different name- is a superset of the
> original draft. It emphasises that making the tool usable by other
> applications via a client API is a key need -it's how some people have been
> using Hoya- and that packaging and service registration and discovery are
> key areas for improvement.
>

> The code is up on github at https://github.com/hortonworks/slider for
> people to download and play with
>
> If you look closely you'll see that the packaging is still .hoya, as are a
> lot of the classnames. That's something we'll fix during incubation, along
> with some of the code packaging.
>

> Comments?
>
> -Stevve
>
> --