incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept Slider into the incubator
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2014 19:20:26 GMT
Based on prior experience I'd say the Members take a liberal attitude to
duplication of efforts. There are pros and cons. "Constructive competition"
versus siloing and dissipation of the potential of a common community.
Given what I've read on this thread I hope ultimately Twill, Helix, and
Slider, should it be accepted, unify their efforts in a common project.
(Likewise for Brooklyn, should it be accepted, and Whirr and the other
related Apache projects in that clique.) Community is often elevated above
code in discussions here about principles. Accepting projects with fair or
significant overlap to others does grow the Apache community in aggregate
even if potentially limiting the potential of the projects individually. I
don't know what the correct answer is, if there is one. Maybe its simply up
to the projects to cooperate on reducing unwanted entropy should they find
that a shared goal.

Sometimes externalities dominate, like for example with Accumulo and HBase.
The original developer of Accumulo decided not to build on HBase (my
understanding of history) and instead build an alternate code base, and
politics in the user organizations now prevent some kind of joint effort or
unification should that even be technically possible (probably not anyway).
Sadly the root cause is governmental control freakery, if you will pardon a
bit of editorial.

Not necessarily in this case (I do not know), sometimes I wonder if
incubation proposals having significant overlap with existing projects are
simply a shorter path to getting up and running on the desired objectives
instead of joining existing projects through establishment of merit and
committerships.

Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)