incubator-general mailing list archives

From Till Westmann <westm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: []DISCUSS] Release Apache VXQuery Incubating 0.3 (RC2)
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2014 02:35:13 GMT
Hi Justin,

the use this ODC-BY 1.0 licensed file has been allowed in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-182.
We filed this JIRA for our 0.2 release.

The date in the NOTICE is covered by https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VXQUERY-113 and
it will be addressed for the next release.

Some build instructions are available on the website, but I agree that we should put those
into the source artifact as well.
I've just created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VXQUERY-114 for this.

Thanks for checking the release!
Till

On Apr 16, 2014, at 4:32 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> HI,
>
> I just took a look at the release candidate, there's a few very minor issues but everything
else looks good.

> Checksum and PGP good
>
> DISCLAIMER exists
> NOTICE OK - but does has 2013 in it
> LICENSE also OK mentions ODC-BY 1.0. This is not listed at [1] as a compatible license
but it looks to be a permissive style license.
> Missing README and RELEASE_NOTES, while I expect these to be here they are not required
[2]. IMO It would be useful to included instructions on how to build the project.

> License headers OK
>
> Source release does contain a binary file, but as it a compressed XML file that's probably
OK. Does this need to be compressed as the source package is compressed?
> File is ./vxquery-core/src/test/resources/documents/dblp.xml.gz. Un-compresing the file
I find that it has no license header, perhaps the original ODC-BY 1.0 header has been removed?
As CDC-BY 1.0 is mentioned in LICENSE I think this is OK by Apache but may not be OK by CDC-BY
license terms? Anyone confirm?

> Can compile from source successfully (mvn compile).
> Tests (mvn test) pass.
>
> If someone with more licensing experience than me can confirm that ODC-BY 1.0 and dblp.xml.gz
is correctly licensed then I'd vote +1.