incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andy Seaborne <a...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is a Software Grant Agreement always needed for IP Clearance?
Date Sat, 19 Apr 2014 15:51:13 GMT
On 05/04/14 16:19, Craig L Russell wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> If you developed the code during the time the ICLA and CCLA were in effect (from February
2012) I don't see a need to file additional paperwork.

> Craig

As a matter of good practice, when is it best to use the IP Clearance
process?

In this case, we have a significant area of new functionality, written
by Rob, who has appropriate xCLAs on file.  It is within the projects
charter.

The code was written solely by Rob and developed outside the project's
code repository.

The IP Clearance Template (point 3) says an SG and CCLA must be in place
and it is sent to the secretary.  It does not seem necessary as the
existing CCLA is on file.

As a significant new piece of code, it does seem worth recording the
acceptance by the project.

What's the best practice?

	Andy

> On Apr 5, 2014, at 8:08 AM, Rob Vesse wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> I’m in the process of carrying out IP Clearance for some code developed outside
of the ASF that my employer (Cray) has now agreed to contribute to the Apache Jena project
where I am a committer and PMC member.

>> In this case the software was developed entirely by myself though obviously Cray
holds the copyright.  I have an ICLA on file for myself and Cray filed a CCLA for me when
I originally joined the Apache Jena project as a committer and PMC member.  In this scenario
is a SGA actually needed to carry out IP Clearance of the contributed code or are the existing
ICLA and CCLA sufficient?