incubator-general mailing list archives

From Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Stratosphere
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2014 23:14:42 GMT
+1.

Alan.

On Apr 7, 2014, at 10:50 PM, Henry Saputra <henry.saputra@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Upayavira,
>
> Should we start VOTE as Stratosphere while asking for alternative names?
>
> - Henry
>
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 7:57 PM, Upayavira <uv@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
>> I would suggest doing the vote and the name discussion simultaneously.
>> Hopefully the name discussion can be resolved by the time infra is ready
>> to do its stuff. It really is a good idea to avoid extra infra work, and
>> multiple mailing list changes, if it can be helped.
>>
>> Upayavira
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 8, 2014, at 01:52 AM, Alan Gates wrote:
>>> After talking with the proposers, the consensus is that the name will
>>> need to change, and everyone is fine with that.  But the team wants to
>>> make sure we take time to choose a new name that won’t run into legal
>>> issues.  So we would prefer to start incubation now concurrent with the
>>> name search rather than quickly pick a name now, hoping it will survive
>>> the trademarks process.
>>>
>>> We realize this will cause some churn for infra, as we’ll end up changing
>>> names on mailing lists, etc.  We’re open to suggestions on how to
>>> minimize this.  So are we ok to start the vote?
>>>
>>> Alan.

that block progress on evaluating the proposal or working with the potential new community
to see how they'd fit with The Apache Way.

thing to do up front, so we can be aware of any potential conflicts for the future.  However
it's not as useful to try to analyze what the potential issues are on a public list.

to follow the core rules that we require of Apache branded projects.  Part of that hosting
is offering the stable APACHE house brand for the project community, as well as assistance
in securing and maintaining their project identity.

pre-existing uses of similar software product names, we can't necessarily offer the same level
of defense for such a project name.

to accept the risk of future conflicts, and that's fine - as long as in those cases we recognize
that we may be forced to change a project name in the future *if* the issue ever comes up.

The details matter - both on the legal details of some potential conflict of names, *as well
as* the actual behavior of the parties involved.  That is: just because there is an apparent
conflict of names does not always mean that the two parties can't reach an agreement to each
continue while recognizing each other's brands.

various cloud stuff these days, that I do recommend the proposal submitters have a serious
discussion about considering a new name.

>>> --
>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>>> that
>>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender
>>> immediately

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE