incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Second git import from already existing podling with original CCLA blessing?
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2014 21:29:49 GMT
On Mar 12, 2014, at 1:47 PM, David Nalley wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Jakob Homan <jghoman@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Right, which is what I was working on.  This thread is to find out if,
>> given what that original grantor considers this new repo part of the
>> original grant, we need to go through with the extra work of the IP
>> Clearance.
>>

> Multiple issues here. The repo in question wasn't called out in the
> proposal that was voted on when Samza was accepted as a podling.
> Though for the record, neither was the initial repo. Regardless, that
> was almost a year ago. IMO IP Clearance is the process that covers
> bringing in the additional IP at this time. You'll need to follow that
> process, and CCLA might give you some of the paperwork you need in the
> process, but it doesn't obviate the need for going through the IP
> Clearance process.
>
> My reading of things is that as part of that IP Clearance you would
> need one of:
> * a valid CCLA with the contribution described in Schedule B  (We
> really don't have an idea of what, if anything was in Schedule B)

I don't think there is any confidentiality of the following information.

The original CCLA from LinkedIn has this:

<verbatim>Schedule B
Samza: a system for processing stream data from publish-subscribe systems such as Apache Kafka.
The developer writes a stream processing task, and executes it as a Samza job. Samza then
routes messages between stream processing tasks and the publish-subscribe systems that the
messages are addressed to.
</verbatim>

LinkedIn's legal department comments are sufficient for me to clear this donation:

LI counsel on open source matters: "Hello-samza is ancillary to Samza and
thus fits within a broadly interpreted Exhibit B to the original Samza
CCLA.  In other words, it's already covered, with no legal need for a new
CCLA.  Also worth noting that we're the donor of both Samza and
hello-samza, so a key problem that would be resolved by having the
separate, new CCLA (i.e. substantial donation of code by a different
company) is actually a problem we do not have."

Craig

> * A valid CCLA in conjunction with ICLAs along with attestation that
> it's a work held by $dayjob and you are transferring it to the ASF.
> * A valid SGA for the IP
>
> --David

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation