incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Phoenix 3.0.0 incubating RC1
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2014 00:33:51 GMT
On 26 March 2014 22:45, James Taylor <jamestaylor@apache.org> wrote:
> Marvin -
> The one example in that email thread (airavata), has a bunch of copyright
> notices in there NOTICE file:
> https://github.com/apache/airavata/blob/master/modules/distribution/airavata-server/src/main/resources/NOTICE
>
> Is that correct or incorrect?

Could well be correct; I've not checked the NOTICE files for the bundled code.

> I think the reason this comes up a lot is because most of us are software
> developers, not IP lawyers. My interpretation of the license howto is that
> you include the copyright info, since those bits are bundled in our binary
> distribution and their original NOTICE files are no longer present. Is that
> the incorrect way to interpret this:
>
> Copyright notifications which have been
> relocated<http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers> from
> source files (rather than removed) must be preserved in NOTICE. However,
> elements such as the copyright notifications embedded within BSD and MIT
> licenses need <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-59>
> not<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-62> be
> duplicated in NOTICE -- it suffices to leave those notices in their
> original locations.

Note the above.

> When I read the Apache 2.0, BSD 2-clause, BSD 3-clause, and MIT licenses,
> they all state this:
>     * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
>       notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
>
> Doesn't that mean that the copyright notice is required?

Yes, but "it suffices to leave those notices in their original locations."

Copyright notices have been *relocated* from source files have to go
into NOTICE.
The copyright notice in the license has not been relocated, so it is
still in the license text.