incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduation of Apache Allura from the Incubator
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2014 10:58:19 GMT
On 15 March 2014 01:23, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> HI,
>
> Just a minor thing (IMO). I was just taking a look at [1] and what strikes me is a lack
of ASF branding.

> While it's clear in the text and from the domain that the project is an ASF one, the
subtitles "Forge software for hosting software projects" and "Brought to you by: brondsem,
masterbunnyfu, rbowen, vansteenburgh" and lack of links back to the ASF don't immediately
give that impression.

That's a good point.

The board decided a long time ago that @author tags were deprecated in
code; partly because they get out of date, but mainly because the ASF
is a community, and code is a co-operative effort.

Seems to me the "Brought to you" sentence has similar problems, and
should be removed.

[There are other ways to attribute contributions, e.g. on a page that
lists committers, in the Maven POM (if used) etc.]

Also I think (almost?) all other TLPs include the ASF feather which
links back to the main ASF page.

> I also looked at where I thought the release should be published [2] and it contains
no files. Is that the correct location? That's the path in the release guidelines. [2]

Yes and no - [2] is where RCs can be uploaded for voting; actual
releases are published from [2a], e.g. by moving them from [2].

There are files at [2a].

> It also quite hard for someone outside the project to see what is happing on the mailing
list due to the large amount at allure ticket emails. Have you consider having a separate
issues list?

+1

2a. https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/allura/