incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Phoenix 3.0.0 incubating RC1
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2014 00:35:40 GMT
On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 4:25 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Yes, we bundle ANTLR in our binary distribution. Most of the other items
> > are pulled in based on the transitive dependencies of other jars we've
> > bundled in our binary distribution.
>
> I see now why I did not notice the 3rd party binaries.
> They seem to have been merged into jars which look like phoenix code -
> and indeed also contain phoenix code.
>
> That is a very non-standard way to do things, and I think could
> mislead end-users as to the provenance of the code.
>
> It's OK to bundle separate jars in a binary release (assuming
> licensing etc is OK), but I don't think it's OK to merge 3rd party
> code with ASF code in a single jar.
> Apart from anything, that will play havoc with Maven and possibly
> other dependency management systems.

I believe this is done because Phoenix is a JDBC client, and JDBC drivers
are usually packaged as single JARs for convenience. James could confirm or
refute. I concluded this is acceptable practice having seen it elsewhere at
Apache, for example in Apache Pig, their convenience fatjar artifact.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)