incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tool to generate disclaimer, NOTICE, etc. files
Date Sun, 09 Feb 2014 03:42:24 GMT
On 8 February 2014 16:49, Alan Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
> Do you think it would be helpful if we had a tool that generated these files?  It could
work like a command line wizard that prompts the person for licensing information and then
generates a valid disclaimer, notice, etc. files.

AIUI the disclaimer file is the same for every project - only the
project name changes.
Seems unnecessary to automate this, though it should be trivial to implement.

The NOTICE file is much harder to automate, as it depends on knowing
what is actually going to be shipped and reading and interpreting all
the relevant licenses.
However it might be possible to create a sort of expert system that
asked the right questions and guided the user to create the NOTICE
file.

> If this is a good idea, what files should we generate?  Currently, all I can think of
is disclaimer and notice.

> Maybe it could add the info into the project's DOAP file.  If we worked out the kinks
then we could create sbt/gradle/mvn plugins to read the DOAP file and insert these files into
the correct places in the distributions.  Apache RAT could also use this info as well.

The DOAP could certainly be used to create the DISCLAIMER.

It seems wrong to include any dependency information in the DOAP.

Dependencies must be present somewhere in the build scripts, however
even in Maven (which has very structured info) it's not at all easy to
determine which dependencies are actually included in the release
artifacts (and remember that source and binary artifacts may need
different NOTICE files)

Note also that some source files may require attribution in the NOTICE file.
These won't be documented in any build system; the info has to be
added to the NOTICE file manually when the code is added to SCM.

> WDYT?

Non-trivial; maintaining the meta-data needed to accurately generate
the NOTICE file is likely to require more effort than writing the
NOTICE file itself.