incubator-general mailing list archives

From Patrick Wendell <pwend...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduation of Apache Spark from the Incubator
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2014 05:19:39 GMT
Hey All - chiming in as an active Spark committer.

> The part that disturbs me is that after the vote passed in the
> community, and came to the IPMC a mentor is still having to remind
> folks that things like strategy and roadmap discussions need to happen
> on the mailing list. That's a pretty foundational concept in my mind
> for an Apache project.

Henry gave a reminder on the mailing list not because it's a
persistent problem but because it never explicitly came up prior to
this. We use github for review comments and in one case this week
there was a brief discussion that could be interpreted as roadmap - so
Henry just gave a reminder not to do that. I can't imagine why any
project would *want* to use github review comments for long term
roadmap discussion... it's a terrible medium for that anyways! We have
a very active developer list and that is where these discussions take
place.

> The missing account issues are somewhat troubling, but also not really
> within the purview of the podling to fix either; though I find it odd
> that people committed to the podling (and many initial committers)
> haven't asked for their Apache account or needed to use it.

This is because those people have still contributed a lot of code via
other commiters who merge so it's not an immediate urgency. For
perspective I am a committer on two other ASF projects but I've never
personally committed code to either - I do it through the more active
committers who basically spend all their time merging patches. A few
of the initial commiters are not currently active on the project;
they've made major contributions over the last few years of
development and are committers in recognition of those contributions
(see above).

Popping up a level. We are happy to have github discussions forward to
either our dev- list or a reviews- list or something like that (I
beleive Matei is setting that up now). If IPCM folks want to debate
whether we should *have* to do that, it seems sensible to fork a
thread and discuss elsewhere. If IPMC folks want to debate whether
github should be allowed at all, I also think it's better discussed
outside of this graduation thread.