incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduation of Apache Spark from the Incubator
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2014 06:01:02 GMT
On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 7:05 PM, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:

> The part that disturbs me is that after the vote passed in the
> community, and came to the IPMC a mentor is still having to remind
> folks that things like strategy and roadmap discussions need to happen
> on the mailing list. That's a pretty foundational concept in my mind
> for an Apache project.

Thanks for your thoughtful, constructive commentary, David.

The issue of GitHub integration is complex, unresolved, and as today's thread
demonstrates, controversial.  I considered voting -1 because I don't want to
hand a hot potato to the Board.

However, as you note Spark comes highly recommended, and I am impressed by
what I've seen on general@incubator, especially today and in the thread on
dealing with binaries in their 0.8 release.  I believe that Spark is likely to
play a highly constructive role in realizing the promise of integrating the
"Community over Code" ASF with "Social Coding" GitHub.

+1 (binding) to graduate.

Marvin Humphrey