incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduation of Apache Spark from the Incubator
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2014 17:05:49 GMT
Hi Matei,

On Feb 4, 2014, at 12:26 PM, Matei Zaharia wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> Thanks for the list, I’m following up with these folks to get them accounts. I think
some people filed an ICLA but never received an account and were thus never added to the repo.

This is a significant failure of the leadership of this project to request accounts.

The project status on http://incubator.apache.org/projects/spark.html says that "all active
committers have submitted a contributors agreement" as of a week ago. The project started
seven months ago. Setting up the project, filing ICLAs, and getting accounts for committers
is supposed to be part of the initial activities, not a graduation exercise.

> A couple of questions:
>
> - What do you mean by “does not appear to be a committer” — that they weren’t
added to the repo?

They were not given credentials to commit to the repo.

> All of these individuals have contributed code, but it was merged by someone else.

This is a major issue. At Apache, committers update the repo with their own code. Occasionally,
they commit code on behalf of others but this should be a rare exception, such as a person
from the outside contributing a patch or two.

If committers on the project are routinely committing patches on behalf of other active members
of the project, there is something fundamentally wrong with the leadership of the project.

Perhaps it is a feature of using git that it's so easy to write code, create a pull request,
and have someone else do the "easy" job of merging.

> - Andrew Xia is listed as having an ICLA on file here: http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html

Yes, I missed this. Andrew's public name is different.

There are some folks on the proposed PMC list who do not appear to have been active on the
mail lists, which are the life blood of a project.

I'm still -1 on this project graduating without demonstrated understanding of how Apache projects
work.

Craig

> Matei
>

> On Feb 4, 2014, at 8:12 AM, Craig L Russell <craig.russell@oracle.com> wrote:
>
>> -1 for this resolution as written.
>>
>> Some of the proposed PMC members have filed ICLAs but are not committers; some have
not even filed ICLAs; some appear to have been part of the original proposal but have not
contributed to the project during incubation.