incubator-general mailing list archives

From Matei Zaharia <matei.zaha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduation of Apache Spark from the Incubator
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2014 19:06:25 GMT
> What I meant by this is that all code is reviewed by another committer and merged by them.
Different projects operate differently, but I believe this is a very normal way to operate.
I’ve been a committer on Apache Hadoop, one of the most active Apache projects, since 2009,
and nearly all the patches I sent there were reviewed and merged by someone else.

> If you look at the GitHub code reviews (https://github.com/apache/incubator-spark/pulls),
you’ll see that lots of people are contributing to reviewing. But I agree that the new committer
onboarding process should include having them do a test commit.

BTW just to reiterate Henry’s point here, because it’s probably not clear coming from
SVN: in Git, when you merge someone else’s patch, they retain authorship for it in the commit
history. Just do a "git log" in our repository (e.g. https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-spark.git;a=summary).
So it’s not a case of “email your patch to someone else and have them apply it”.

Matei