incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Christian Grobmeier" <>
Subject [VOTE] Accept Log4cxx for Incubation
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2013 19:48:52 GMT
Dear all,

please cast your vote to accept Log4cxx for incation.
The proposal is pasted below, but can be found here too:

This vote will close in 72 hours.

[ ] +1 Accept Log4cxx into the Incubator
[ ] -1 Don't accept Log4cxx because...

Apache log4cxx is a subproject of Apache Logging Services. It is a
logging framework for C++ patterned after Apache log4j. Apache log4cxx
uses Apache Portable Runtime for most platform-specific code and should
be usable on any platform supported by APR.

The current website is visible at:

The original developers of the project went inactive and the project was
not maintained for quite a while. The Logging PMC thought about moving
the project to the attic but a few users were objecting.

This proposal is to create a new community around Log4cxx.

Currently Log4cxx appears to be pretty stable without many competitors.
It has a small but dedicated user base.

Current Status

Log4cxx was developed at the Apache Software Foundation. Its SVN history
reaches back to 2003 but there was even previous development on CVS.
While the interested developers were not involved in the past efforts
there is consens that Apache Logging Services is the best place for the
future development of Log4cxx.

Goal of the incubation is to reboot the community around log4cxx.

Known Risks

Orphaned Products

With six interested developers and one of them being a committer to
Apache Logging Services the risk can be considered low.

Inexperience with Open Source

One of the committers is already committer to Apache Logging. The others
were already subscribed to the mailing list and actively participating
on the discussions.

Homogeneous Developers

The list of initial committers are geographically distributed across the
world with no one company being associated with a majority of the

Reliance on Salaried Developers

None of the initial committers is paid to develop code for this project.
However it has been expressed that the framework is in use at the
companies of the developers. CCLAs will be submitted were relevant.

Relationships with Other Apache Products

So far no other Apache products are known which use Log4cxx. Apache
Log4j was the prototype for creating Log4cxx.

An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand

n/a. Log4cxx was developed at the ASF.

Initial Source

The initial source was developed at the ASF and has already a clean IP
and is distributed with AL 2.0.

Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan

The source code is available here:

External Dependencies

The project does not handle cryptography in any way.

Required Resources

We would like to use the already existing mailinglists:

We would like to move the source code folder from:

Issue tracking: We would like to use: which already exists.

We would like to move the current website to: As the main Logging site is created
with the Apache CMS, we would like to establish a similar process for

Initial Committers

Names of initial committers - in alphabetical order - with current ASF

Florian Seydoux <> (ICLA signed)
chand priyankara <> (ICLA signed)
Nick Williams <> (Apache Logging Committer)
Thorsten Schöning <>
Rhys Ulerich <> (ICLA signed)
Joseph Southwell <> (ICLA signed)
Alexandru Zbârcea <> (ICLA signed)

Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier at apache dot org> (Member)
Nominated Mentors

Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier at apache dot org>
Scott Deboy <sdeboy at apache dot org>
Sponsoring Entity

Apache Logging PMC

To unsubscribe, e-mail: