incubator-general mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release Verification Checklist
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2013 10:37:57 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 11:39 PM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 5:52 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
> ...    3.6 Release consists of source code only, no binaries
>
> Technically we allow some "binary" formats like .jpg, .png, etc. in releases
> without the corresponding composite files from which they were exported
> (assuming such composite files exist)...

Agreed, I have added a TODO at
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ReleaseChecklist - the manifest
should point to a page at http://incubator.apache.org that explains
such things in a bit more detail. Good opportunity to clarify that ;-)

> ...Also, I wonder whether "no binaries"
> may provoke newbies to ask "What?!  No binaries?!"...

Which is good IMO, once we have a clear explanation.

>     4.1 Based on its dev list activity, the project looks healthy
>
>     4.2 Based on its private list activity, the project looks healthy
>
> First, I think these two items should be struck because they belong in a
> graduation checklist, not a release checklist...

Agreed, I have removed them. Totally agree to keep the checklist as
small as possible.

I made some other minor changes as well, see wiki history if needed.

>... Second, I'm amused that the "commits list" item was quietly dropped, but new
> checklist items have been inserted regarding the dev and private lists...

Pure oversight on my part, sorry...but what would we do if no reviewer
follows the commit lists? I don't think that's a reason to kill a
release.

-Bertrand