incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: IP Clearance before releasing
Date Sun, 15 Dec 2013 04:41:44 GMT
On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 12:20 AM, Upayavira <uv@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
> We should probably be clear about *who* can relax the rules, because
> again this could become a fighting ground amongst 180 of us.

Perhaps we can avert potential disputes by blocking graduation rather than
releases.

Every review item in the following checklist is either required by Incubator
policy or is documented outside the Incubator as required for all Apache
releases:

    http://incubator.apache.org/guides/release_manifest.txt
    http://incubator.apache.org/guides/release.html#review-items

Let's say that we start allowing more documented exceptions to the rules for
incubating releases.  Fine -- but the podling still needs to demonstrate that
they can make a release worthy of a TLP, or they shouldn't graduate.

The simple approach is to establish a policy that a podling must make a
release which passes all the checklist items.  I'm sure we'd end up making
occassional exceptions under the "materiality" test, but that's no big deal.

An "audit" prior to graduation has also been proposed, but forcing IPMC
members to go rooting around in source trees, build scripts and issue trackers
seems unattractive.

Blocking graduation instead of release candidates would reduce strain on both
podlings and reviewers.  Suitable policy bugs could be fixed in between
incubating releases during the normal course of development, rather than
between release candidates -- so fewer release candidates would be needed.

Marvin Humphrey