incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Release Verification Checklist
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2013 04:49:15 GMT
On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 1:55 AM, ant elder <ant.elder@gmail.com> wrote:

> All the stuff required to be checked when voting on a release should be
> documented in the ASF doc about releases. That its not in that doc suggests
> its not required. If someone thinks something is required then they should
> go get consensus around that with the wider ASF and get the ASF doc updated.

OK, I've done the research and I've migrated the manifest proposal to a new
documentation page with the links.  The ReleaseChecklist wiki page is now a
home for optional checklist items.

    http://incubator.apache.org/guides/release.html
    https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ReleaseChecklist

Applying your criteria to the current checklist has resulted in the
migration of two items to the optional list:

*   Each expanded source archive matches the corresponding SCM tag.

    It turns out the only place matching the SCM tag was documented is the
    Incubator's Release Management guide.  Here's Leo Simons making the case
    against: <http://markmail.org/message/2ncepopzgnshtyd6>.

*   Build instructions are provided, unless obvious

    I haven't found any documentation that this is required anywhere on
    www.apache.org/dev or www.apache.org/legal.  Bertrand, between me arguing
    that this won't come into play often enough and Ant and Olivier arguing
    that we should only include blockers documented elsewhere, I've made the
    judgment call that this should be moved to the optional list as well.
    Please let us know if you object.

> Podling releases are not quite the same as TLP releases, thats why they
> have the DISCLAIMER and "incubating" naming. I think we should be making it
> easier for podlings to do releases, if its really necessary then make an
> audit of the last release a requirement of graduation.

I am passionately committed to making it easier for podlings to release, by
granting limited self-governance to those who earn it.

The proposal under consideration is a win for *both* streamlining the release
voting process and improving release oversight.

Marvin Humphrey