incubator-general mailing list archives

From Joseph Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Question about jar files in svn.
Date Thu, 19 Dec 2013 04:01:38 GMT
No policy says anything about binaries in svn, but if you can't have them in your source package
it probably doesn't make much sense to keep them in svn.  But really that part is up to the
project not the IPMC.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 18, 2013, at 10:45 PM, Greg Trasuk <trasukg@stratuscom.com> wrote:
>

> Hi all:
>
> We’re having a discussion over in dev@river.apache.org that was triggered by the recent
discussion here about the Spark podling release.  In particular,
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201312.mbox/%3CCAAS6%3D7iQSKTgNdO-0Qyd3T9--%2B%2BHQFEmhJi7CHoByqvQvp9_bg%40mail.gmail.com%3E
> has caused me to start asking questions…
>
> Since Incubator is a good repository of Apache’s institutional knowledge, I wonder
if someone could point me towards resources that clarify the policy on dependency jars in
releases and in the svn repository.  If I understand it correctly, there shouldn’t (perhaps
even must not be) any jar files checked into subversion or included in a source release.
Is that correct?  To be more specific, there doesn’t seem to be any doubt that jars shouldn’t
be included in source release packages, but would it be fair to say that they should also
not be in the svn?