incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sergio Fernández <>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE Role Models
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2013 13:59:10 GMT

welcome to such a nice process ;-)

First, following what current TLP projects are doing could be a bad
idea; I realized many of them wouldn't pass a IPMC checking now.

In case it helps, from that process in Marmotta, I got a summary that,
at least for me, helped a lot to simply the task. Basically consist on:

* Don't put anything in NOTICE for the sake of an MIT-licensed
* Don't put anything in NOTICE for the sake of a three-clause BSD
* For an ALv2 dependency, follow the instructions in the licensing
* For all other licenses, either guess or ask.

Further details at MARMOTTA-213. Of course these are informal rules, so
do not follow to a tee.

My 2 cents. Good luck!

On 11/12/13 00:15, P. Taylor Goetz wrote:
> In the process of preparing the LICENSE and NOTICE files for Storm, I started looking
at what other Apache projects (both incubator and TLPs) have done.
> It seems like approaches are all over the map. I've even seen projects that don't have
> My question to any mentors and PMC members is are there any projects that stand out as
having done a really good job at this? (I understand that every circumstance is different.)
> One project that stood out to me was Cassandra. Storm actually shares some of the same
dependencies, so I found their approach helpful.