incubator-general mailing list archives

From Kevin Minder <kevin.min...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Knox-0.3.1-incubating RC3
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2013 20:11:50 GMT
Sebb,

Thanks for your careful review.  I'd like your continued insight into
two specific issues that you have raised.

WRT the NOTICE files in root vs gatway-release/home, this is actually an
issue that I struggled with when laying things out initially.  We
certainly don't include the source for 3rd party products anywhere.
This covers why they are not mentioned in NOTICE at the top level of the
source repo/archive.  The NOTICE file in gatway-release/home ends up in
the root of our binary distributions.  This binary distribution does
contain the JARs for those 3rd party products.  Therefore I thought I
was following the rules by having these two NOTICE files be different
and represent the actual content of the respective archives.

For hadoop-examples.jar I understand your reaction.  I would like to try
and justify the inclusion for this specific use case however.  This JAR
is included for "ease of use", especially for first time users.
Basically to use Knox with Hadoop you need to have an existing Hadoop
"application".    Our user's guide walks through an example of uploading
and running this sample Hadoop application. (It is not used at compile
time at all).  If we don't check this into SCM and build it as part of
Knox, that would create a tight coupling between Knox and a specific
Hadoop version only used to create this post-install sample JAR file.  I
think about this similar to including a sample JPEG in a image processor
distribution.  There you wouldn't expect the JPEG to be build from
source.  All that being said, we certainly shouldn't have two copies,
although fixing that will be an interesting maven challenge.

Thanks again for your continued feedback!

Kevin.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE