incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <>
Subject Re: Release vote thresholds
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2013 20:41:50 GMT

On Nov 27, 2013, at 2:41 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Marvin Humphrey <> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM, Dave Fisher <> wrote:
>>> I am not sure that this is a step in the correct direction.
>> Dave, I'm sure you realize that your opposition is deeply disapointing to a
>> number of us, when we seem so close.
>> I will work with you to see if we can build what you are currently calling
>> the "Incubator Committer" solution into something which can achieve
>> consensus.  It is not necessarily going to be easy to get that proposal as
>> close as this one has come, but let's try.
> It's been 5 days since we last hear from Dave.  It's possible that the
> Thanksgiving holiday is a busy time, but we need to move forward.
> We're working to modify the proposal for PPMC binding votes to address
> concerns about providing adequate oversight.  In the absence of a viable
> competing proposal, I expect to initiate a PROPOSAL followed by a VOTE once
> the revised version is sufficiently mature -- possibly in a week or so.

I am here now after the holiday and time away from most email.

I have a suggestion - inline.

On Nov 25, 2013, at 12:46 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 7:09 PM, Marvin Humphrey <> wrote:
>> ...Ant, you proposed a minimum of one IPMC vote for each release:
>>    How about simply changing the rules for Incubator releases so that they
>>    don't require at least three binding votes, but instead make it at least
>>    three votes only one of which must be binding...
> I would agree with that provided that we require other voters to
> document what they have actually reviewed in the release, something
> like:
> -PPMC members review their release and create a text file in the
> incubator's svn repository, based on a template that indicates what
> needs to be reviewed in a release
> -At least one Incubator PMC member reviews the release, updates the
> file accordingly, and their +1 vote along with the usual PPMC vote
> validates the release

c/one Incubator PMC member/one podling Mentor who is an Apache Member/

> -For the first release we require at least three IPMC members to
> participate, instead of just one.
> This would provide good oversight, while helping educate the PPMC
> members and keep a good record of the release requirements that other
> podlings can use as examples. And make sure people's +1s are based on
> something tangible and documented.

I am only comfortable allowing singular IPMC votes from members of the ASF. I think the IPMC
owes this much to the other members of the Foundation.