incubator-general mailing list archives

From "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE Role Models
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2013 04:10:27 GMT
Thanks Suresh, that's a big help.

Having a recently approved example helps a lot. The source vs. binary release examples help
as well.

It's kind of interesting to see how this has changed over time and varies from project to
project.

Taylor

> On Dec 10, 2013, at 9:22 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 10, 2013, at 6:15 PM, P. Taylor Goetz <ptgoetz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> In the process of preparing the LICENSE and NOTICE files for Storm, I started looking
at what other Apache projects (both incubator and TLPs) have done.

>> It seems like approaches are all over the map. I've even seen projects that don't
have a NOTICE.

>> My question to any mentors and PMC members is are there any projects that stand out
as having done a really good job at this? (I understand that every circumstance is different.)

> I would not call these role models or any where near, but for Apache Airavata, we spent
months during incubation to get the L&N files right (thanks to our patient mentors). If
useful here are the pointers:

> Source L&N files (essentially there are no third party sources bundled, hence ALV2
only):
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/airavata/trunk/LICENSE
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/airavata/trunk/NOTICE
>
> The binary distribution bundles a whole bunch of dependencies and we had to manually
traverse through every bundled jar:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/airavata/trunk/modules/distribution/airavata-server/src/main/resources/LICENSE
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/airavata/trunk/modules/distribution/airavata-server/src/main/resources/NOTICE
>
> Note: In recent past there have been more clarifications on NOTICE file needing to be
even more minimalistic, we did not yet adhere to these policies yet. So recently released
incubator projects might have better examples.

> Suresh
>

>> One project that stood out to me was Cassandra. Storm actually shares some of the
same dependencies, so I found their approach helpful.